& Associates LLC is the North American
Distributor of SPACE GASS structural analysis
Please visit their website
for a full description of the software.
SPACE GASS is a general purpose structural
analysis and design program for 2D and 3D
frames, trusses, grillages and beams. It comes
with a full complement of features that make
it suitable for any job from small beams,
trusses and portal frames to large high rise
buildings, towers, cranes and bridges. Items
such as graphical input, polar coordinates,
elastic supports, pin-ended members, tension-only
members, rigid member offsets, moving loads
and non-linear analysis are all standard features.
SPACE GASS has been designed so that you have
everything at your fingertips. The main graphics
display, which is visible almost all of the
time, is the central focus of the program
and constantly shows the current state of
the model; you can display up to four viewports
(windows), with different views of the structure,
at one time. Toolbar buttons that instantly
activate the most frequently used commands,
and toggle buttons that turn options on or
off and indicate their state at a glance,
give the program a highly visual look. A logically
arranged system of pull-down menus gives access
to all of the program’s features in
a way that makes it impossible for you to
get lost in. Context sensitive help is available
for each screen and, if that is not enough,
the entire SPACE GASS user manual is included
SPACE GASS has a feature rich set of graphics
commands which enable virtually all parts
of the data to be input or edited graphically.
This includes the structure, loads, and design
data. The list of graphics commands includes
draw, move, rotate, copy, mirror, erase, stretch,
subdivide, intersect, connect, merge, renumber,
attributes, restrain, section, material, constrain,
load, area load, moving load, combine, mass,
steel member, steel connect, show, label,
annotate, redraw, zoom, pan, viewpoint, filter,
query, grid, snap, ortho, attach, plane, coordinates
As an alternative to graphical input, an
enhanced form of spreadsheet input, called
Datasheet Input, is available for all types
of data. Special buttons for generation and
other data specific items such as section
property shape input or material library input
make datasheet input indispensable. SPACE
GASS also offers pro-forma text file input
and standard wizard input.
Although SPACE GASS is very easy to learn
and use, it contains a huge number of sophisticated
features and capabilities. Most of these come
as standard features, however a few of the
more specialized ones are supplied as options.
SPACE GASS has been awarded an engineering
excellence award by the Victoria Division
of The Institution of Engineers, Australia
for best engineering product. It is the first
time in Australia that a software package
has won such an award.
The standard features in
SPACE GASS include:
- Intuitive and easy-to-use graphical user
- Simple and logical menu system offering
access to all program features.
- Multiple viewports that allow you to display
up to four different views of the model
- Toolbar buttons offering instant access
to the most commonly used commands.
- Maximum use of buttons with icons or pictures
in place of words or codes.
- Metric, Imperial or any mixed units system.
- Graphical input.
- Undo / redo.
- Filters that let you control what you
- Context sensitive menus that are activated
by right clicking the mouse.
- Datasheet input and text file input.
- A structure wizard that guides you through
the generation of standard structures.
- Full data generation facilities for linear
and curved structures.
- Rigid, sliding and pin-ended members.
- Semi-rigid joints.
- 3D member offsets.
- Tension-only and compression-only members.
- Rigid, sliding, pinned and elastic supports.
- Standard section, material, spectral,
vehicle, bolt, plate and weld libraries.
- Library editor.
- Shape builder for built-up shapes and
- All types of node and member loads (concentrated
- Prescribed node translations and rotations.
- Thermal loads.
- Prestress loads.
- Area loads.
- Moving loads.
- Automatic self weight generation.
- Load combinations.
- Load case enveloping.
- Automatic stabilization of unrestrained
- Linear and non-linear analysis.
- Wavefront analysis optimization.
- Export/import facilities with MS-Access,
MS-Excel and MS-Word.
- Highly customizable output reports which
can be previewed before printing.
- Reports in PDF format.
- Background printing.
- Full node and member renumbering before
or after other data has been input.
- Virtually unlimited capacity (subject
to sufficient memory and disk space).
- Loading diagrams.
- Deformed geometry diagrams.
- Bending moment, shear force, and axial
- Query function for frame and diagrams.
- Full 3D geometry display from any viewpoint
with optional hidden line removal.
- Lightning fast analysis speed.
- The ability to merge jobs.
- Script files for controlling SPACE GASS
from other programs.
- Macro facility for running other programs
from SPACE GASS.
- Context sensitive on-line help.
- The complete SPACE GASS user manual on-line.
- 32-bit program with all analysis calculations
to 64-bit accuracy.
- Compatible with Windows 98 / ME / 2000
/ NT / XP.
The optional features in
SPACE GASS are:
Note that all of the standard and optional
features are fully integrated into SPACE GASS
and form an integral part of its menu structure.
Transfer of data between the various modules
is automatic because they all share the same
- Master-slave constraints.
- Catenary cable element.
- Dynamic frequency analysis.
- Dynamic response spectrum analysis.
- Buckling analysis.
- Steel member design.
- Steel connection design.
- Steelwork drafting and CAD interface.
- Reinforced concrete column design.